Descendants of Philip and Ann DILLON
Philip, age 10, and his brother John, age 12, appear in the 1851 Census of England as Inmates of the Union Workhouse at Great Torrington, Devonshire. This would imply that one or both of their parents had possibly died. In the 1850's, young inmates of the Union Workhouses were routinely shipped to Canada for a 'better life'. I suspect that is how Philip arrived in Canada in the mid 1850's. (I have no actual proof that this is the 'right' Philip. Through a process of elimination this is the best one available in the records currently avaialable to me.)
• He worked as a labourer in 1861 in Caledon Twp, Peel Co, Ontario, Canada.
• Philip resided in Caledon, Peel Co, Ontario, Canada in 1871 .
• Philip farmed on Lot 23, Con 3, Amaranth Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada, in 1881
Philip married Jane HARRISON, daughter of James HARRISON and Jane MERRYWEATHER, on May 24, 1866 in , Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada.3 Jane was born in 1848 in Caledon, Peel Co, Ontario, Canada1 and died in 1929 in Winnipeg, Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada4 aged 81.
• Jane resided in Amaranth Twp, Dufferin Co, Ontario, Canada in 1891 .
• She resided at at home listed as a widow in Amaranth Twp, Dufferin Co, Ontario, Canada in 1891.
+ 5 F iv. Violet DILLON was born on September 12, 1873 in Amaranth Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada,1,6,7 died on December 10, 19447,8 aged 71, and was buried in Erin Union Cemetery, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada.
6 M v. James DILLON was born in 1876 in Amaranth Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada.1
• James resided at home in Amaranth Twp, Dufferin Co, Ontario, Canada in 1891.
• He resided at Upper Dominion Creek partnered with Charles Hart b. 1872 in Canada, and William Olsen b. 1860 in Norway. All listed as miners in , Lombard, Yukon, Canada in 1901.
7 M vi. Thomas DILLON was born on November 30, 1877 in Amaranth Twp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada.1
• Thomas resided at the home of his brother-in-law Thomas Sanders in Guelph, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada in 1901.
|Return to top of Page||Return to top of Page|